what killed my chicken...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nemomom, Jan 21, 2009.

1. nemomom

nemomom New Egg

Jan 21, 2009
    Hi,
    I am new. I bought chicks last spring to have egss and we have all gotten rather attached to "the girls". My dh loves to go out and get eggs and visit the girls as they coo at night. We have had no problems with predators, pecking etc. They free range during the day with my 5 goats and usually hang out in the goat shed as well.
    They get locked up and counted at night. Yesterday during the day something got one in the shed. I am assumming everyone else was outside as it was a gorgeous day. Feathers all over but mostly in a corner and I found her a few feet away still inside, with her head and crop intact, but her neck was featherless and what ever it was ate only into her along her back, no meaty part, so it fits no predator profile. Planning on setting a live trap today in case it comes back. Could the other chickens have jumped her and eaten her back??? thanks bunches for any info.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

So sorry your first post has to be about losing a hen!!!

Maybe a weasel?? Where do you live? What predators do you have in your area??

Again - welcome!

Cindy

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Could also be rats.

4. nemomom

nemomom New Egg

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I live in the Black Hills of SD, so lots of options....I am stumped in that it occured during the day in my goat shed, left there and the critter ate only along the backbone....not my favotire part!
    We do have ferrel cats in the hood, and I have seen weasels not too far, coons occasionally. But I have 2 rabbits that run loose with one of them living in the goat shed and it has not been bothered.....yet. Think I will go set that trap now.
    ~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by