Pics

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I found one of my chickens dead yesterday :hit

I feel awful because I let them out and then left which I normally never do but I figured my parents were home. I guess they either didn't know I was gone or didn't know they were out. Anyway, I was gone a few hours and came back to lock them up, noticed one missing (and checked and rechecked the coop and small run over and over again), then went looking cause I thought maybe she just hadn't made it back yet and wouldn't be alive in the morning if I didn't find her soon. And then in my looking, that's when I found her. Just laying there. :hit

I feel awful. I never should have left and really, I never should have let them out so late in the afternoon. I knew it was a little later but I if t wanted them to enjoy some sunshine. :hit

Anyway, what killed her? I think the head is still there

Attachments

• 20171117_175026.jpg
    20171117_175026.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20171117_175039.jpg
    20171117_175039.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20171117_175047.jpg
    20171117_175047.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20171117_175406.jpg
    20171117_175406.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171117_175411.jpg
    20171117_175411.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 36
I found one of my chickens dead yesterday :hit

I feel awful because I let them out and then left which I normally never do but I figured my parents were home. I guess they either didn't know I was gone or didn't know they were out. Anyway, I was gone a few hours and came back to lock them up, noticed one missing (and checked and rechecked the coop and small run over and over again), then went looking cause I thought maybe she just hadn't made it back yet and wouldn't be alive in the morning if I didn't find her soon. And then in my looking, that's when I found her. Just laying there. :hit

I feel awful. I never should have left and really, I never should have let them out so late in the afternoon. I knew it was a little later but I if t wanted them to enjoy some sunshine. :hit

Anyway, what killed her? I think the head is still there

what ever it was will be back do you have a covered run use it for a few weeks only allow free range when you are there to watch of will loose more

Looks like hawk to me.

Thanks!

what ever it was will be back do you have a covered run use it for a few weeks only allow free range when you are there to watch of will loose more

Yeah, they normally are in their run but I let them out. Probably shouldn't have. They will definitely be locked up for now

Looks like hawk to me.

Thanks!

Yeah, they normally are in their run but I let them out. Probably shouldn't have. They will definitely be locked up for now

Thanks Now that everyone mentions I think I can see where it grabbed and perched on her back (is that what that bald spot back there is?) And plucked her

Your welcome. This is a good [?] example of what people mean when describing a hawk kill looking like a bomb went off in a feather pillow.

Sorry you lost your chicken.

Your welcome. This is a good [?] example of what people mean when describing a hawk kill looking like a bomb went off in a feather pillow.

Sorry you lost your chicken.

That's a good way of putting it! And if it can help other people ID their predators or be a good example, then maybe there is one good thing.

And thank you!

Back
Top Bottom