What killed my chicken :(

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
Our chickens of varies ages live in a fenced in 1 acre area near our house. We can see them from our sliding glass door. It is a partially wooded area surrounded on one side by a 30 acre forest. The fencing is electric.

This morning I went out to feed some treats and noticed my black copper maran dead. Intestines and something else pulled out. Feathers everywhere. Everything was left behind though, whatever killed her didn't eat her or take her. What predator does this?

IMG_20211108_103323425.jpg

IMG_20211108_103329262.jpg

Update: I foolishly left the body there because my kids wanted to bury her and were making a little grave site on the opposite side of the house. My husband was out making sure the electric fence was working and he saw a hawk on the ground with the body. The hawk flew off with the body. Maybe it was the hawk who killed her in the first place?

So sorry for your loss. It was probably the hawk and it will be back. Apparently your pen isn't covered or partially covered so the birds are exposed to aerial predators. Lessons learned the hard way. These are my pens and they are all covered with good heavy duty netting. I see hawks now and then but they can't get to my birds. Good luck...

IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

So sorry for your loss. It was probably the hawk and it will be back. Apparently your pen isn't covered or partially covered so the birds are exposed to aerial predators. Lessons learned the hard way. These are my pens and they are all covered with good heavy duty netting. I see hawks now and then but they can't get to my birds. Good luck...

View attachment 2893024
I suspect you are right. Unfortunately we are not set up to have any full coverage, they are in a fenced partially wooded pasture. But we are definitely thinking of what can be built to keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom