What killed my chicken?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Unfortunately today I found my first killed chicken today :( She was ripped open, breast eaten, neck feathers ripped off and feathers everywhere! There were other black feathers from another chicken that could have gotten attacked but none of them had injuries. It was just this one and they were all free ranging when it happened. I heard NOTHING and went out and found her bout 5 feet in the woods. What do you think killed the chicken?

2. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    any ideas???

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry for your loss! i guess my first guess would be a raccoon, but i'm not sure what kind of predators you have in your area. Hopefully someone who lives in that general region will chime in with a more educated guess.

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    That is how raccoons have killed and eaten our birds. I have had them kill 5 birds at a time. Hope you eliminate the issue.

5. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
  6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would think it would be dog, fox or coyote. A bobcat carries it off and then eats it. So if it was carried off a ways before eaten then could have been bobcat. A racoon is night predator so I would be looking at day predator before I would night one. Anyways good luck with finding it. I would set live trap.

7. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks! Either a raccoon or a fox i think. Is a possum a culprit? My neighbor had just seen one about two weeks ago around the house. Anything that we see that could kill the chickens are shot immediately here. Better safe than sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by