What killed my chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by borzoimom, Jul 28, 2013.

1. borzoimom

borzoimom In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Indiana
    I have tried the predator identification site, but not sure of the culprit. Hoping someone else can help. I had my chickens out free-ranging, they stay close to their coop which is fairly close to the house. My victim was an 8 week old chick. She was not carried off, but killed and eaten at the spot of the kill. There were feathers scattered everywhere, most of her meaty parts were gone. The head was off, but not eaten. The feet were left and the right side of the body. There were some intestines left also. This attack was in the middle of the day. One other chick had a small bloody wound above her beak (not sure if related to the attack). I am confused because the predator did not carry her off. The other 9 birds were all huddled together about 30 feet from the attack. Other chickens in 2 separate pens were hidden in their shelters. My first thought is hawk, anyone else have an opinion. Regardless, my chickens will not be out of their pen for a while and then only under supervision.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    The most likely cuplrit would appear to be a hawk.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I agree hawk. I caught a snake in my deer netting that is around my chicken run. My chicks were freaked out and still would not come out of their coop the next day.

4. NewfieBantam

NewfieBantam Hatching

Mar 30, 2012
    Newfoundland, Canada
    I have a 4x8 coop with a large run for 13 chickens. 5 adult hens and eight 3 month old chicks. One spot in my run has plastic mesh on it - before you say anything, I know it's worthless. This morning I have 9 dead bodies in my coop. 3 chicks and 1 hen survived. The hen was severely injured with her whole back exposed. Skin was ripped from right shoulder/wing to her left hip. Horrible injury, but I cleaned out the feathers and put polysporin on it and I'm keeping her indoors. She can barely stand, she tries to stand and tips over. The other young hen seems to be limping. Her back has also been plucked clean, but no rips or exposed flesh - she is limping though and it feels like she has a broken rib possibly. The other two chicks are roosters and they're untouched. I never got to see the others, my father cremated them before I got there, I live in another community. He said there wasn't any blood, but there were a ton of feathers all over the place. I have a few theories on what massacred my babies, but it seems I'm likely wrong. From what I've read online it appears to be a dog. I can't see it being a dog in that area, because its the only house on that road. Literally, it's in the woods. So that makes me think it would more likely be a coyote - we have them in the province, but I've never heard of them in my area. As far as I know we don't have raccoons here, but there's been a wild cat scoping them out for a while. I am so devastated and I just want to know what to protect against. I've already secured the coop, so whatever it was wont get in that way again, but.. I just lost almost my whole family, and I plan on catching the culprit. I want to know what I'm looking for. Please, if anyone knows what kills multiple chickens, without eating them, plucks all the back feathers off and leaves without killing 2 severely injured birds on its own without getting scared off..

5. atrex

atrex Hatching

Jul 28, 2013
    Something came in my yard this week about noon time killed my rooster and nine hens It must've ate everything everything there was no blood no bones no head no feet just a very few feathers nine hens and one rooster gone. So now I'm looking for another rooster to put with the rest of my hens

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. lgrems

lgrems In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Had a tragic day. My dogs dug under the chicken yard, galvanized fence. Need to construct a safer yard. Probably put chicken wire under fence. Chickens had dug large holes in the corners, where the dogs got under. Need some helpful ideas.

7. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Newfie, if you still have the carcass', you could skin one or two and look for claw, tooth marks. Distance between canine teeth or claws may point you in the right direction. Sounds to me like a dog.

8. NewfieBantam

NewfieBantam Hatching

Mar 30, 2012
    Newfoundland, Canada
    My sweet honey died today, her injury was too bad.. So heartbreaking having a big happy family and then they're all gone..

[​IMG]

9. borzoimom

borzoimom In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Indiana
    Newfie, so sorry or your loss.

10. Autumn D

Autumn D Chirping

Jul 9, 2012
    It might have been a fox. A few days ago a fox got in and killed 8 bantams including 2 chicks who were in cages. the fox left no blood and no bodys execpt for a headless one in our neboirs drive way a short way off. it left many feathers around but not a lot for 8 chickens because of the way a fox kills 2 days afters the atack little foxy showed up agian an we capurted it fox in a racoon trap with the headless chicken and now it wont attack my chickens again. foxs can over 30 feet and will attack in day light or night time and can fit in many shall holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: