What killed my chickens? *Images of dead chickens*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by beachchickies, Jun 26, 2019.

1. beachchickies

beachchickies Hatching

Jun 26, 2019
    We live in Southeastern NC and have owned 4 backyard chickens for about 2.5 years now. We have a very large fenced in yard (basically a double lot) and let them roam during the day and lock them in the coop at night. We lost 2 a few months ago to predators, I believe to be coyotes. Today, around noon, I walked outside to find feathers everywhere and both chickens dead, but mostly intact. They were at least 50 feet apart, one was under our Willow tree. Whatever killed them didn't eat them. I hadn't even heard/seen any signs of distress and I was only yards away, right near the front door. I'm very upset but mostly confused. Our coyotes are common but not during the day, was this a hawk? Pictures included for reference...

Attached Files:

SurferchickinSB and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A coyote would have carried away the chicken. A hawk is a possibility, but they usually stop at one chicken, and try to carry away to eat where wont be bothered.
    Do you possibly have mink, or weasels in your area. They are vicious predators that will kill multiple and return to eat later. (kill multiple to have food for multiple days:idunno)
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :hugssorry to hear such disaster.
    Also :welcome

3. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Raccoon. This looks like a standard raccoon strike.

4. yickenscarf23

yickenscarf23 Songster

Oct 24, 2018
    Indiana
    It happened in broad daylight? How strange. Weasels can be active during daylight hours in the warm months. I'm so sorry about your birds.

5. beachchickies

beachchickies Hatching

Jun 26, 2019
    We thought about it....but our fence is the sturdy white picket fence kind, at least 4 feet high. I don't think a dog could jump that, and the only dog near us is ours neighbors elderly lab.

cavemanrich likes this.
  6. beachchickies

beachchickies Hatching

Jun 26, 2019
    Really? During the day? Why would it kill both but then not eat them?

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. Maybe there are no dogs in your neighborhood that can jump your fence but I can assure a dog can jump a 4’ fence easily if there’s something they want on the other side. I once watched a 9” high dog jump onto the top of a four foot wall and a 15” dog go right over it.

ValerieJ and Stepnout like this.
  8. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    MomJones likes this.
  9. Rietta

Rietta Chirping

Jan 3, 2019
    East Texas
    That's what one of mine looked like when my dog got a hold of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: