What killed my chickens??? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kindir, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I had 2 free-range bantams who have been around for a couple of years now. Each night I carefully put them away locked in their coop and each morning I let them out. Yesterday I let them out at around 9:00 and when I got home at 4:00 they were gone! I looked around and found a bunch of feathers:

[​IMG]

and right next to the feathers were droppings from whatever ate my chickens:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's the same animal, but something small dug under another of my coops and ate 3 chickens there about 2 weeks ago. Was too small of a hole to be a racoon unless it was an immature one. Fisher Cat? My barn cat (so far) is alive and well - I'd think he'd be gone if it was a fisher, but I'm no expert. I've seen foxes around, maybe a fox?

2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So sorry about your loss. [​IMG] I really hope someone can figure out what did it. Just a question.......would a mammal eat every part of the chicken? I noticed there are only a few feathers left, no parts. I didn't pay attention to your location so I don't know if snakes could be a culprit where you are. Maybe a large snake??[​IMG]

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oh, thanks I completely forgot to post - I'm in Connecticut. I doubt it would be a snake. But you are correct in that there were NO parts at all. Not even a whole lot of feathers. I had gotten very comfortable with them free-ranging since they'd been doing it so long without a problem. I figured as long as I made sure they were put away at night they'd be fine. Guess not. So upsetting, they were a gorgeous pair of D'Anvers.

4. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    With the whole bird being gone like that I'd guess it was a coyote or a fox. They'll carry it away and eat it elsewhere. Raccoons & weasels tend to tear into the body, eat as much of the insides as they can and leave the carcass behind.

-S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by