What killed my chickens?Picture of it's poop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kathk, Sep 24, 2016.

1. kathk

kathk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    Something kidnapped my silkie & a week later killed our biggest hen-tearing open her neck & eating from her rump! It's coming out in the early afternoon & left a box full of poop. We're located in Iowa. [​IMG]
    .[​IMG]

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Possum probably. Maybe skunk..

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pic is not very clear and nothing for scale like a quarter or dollar bill.
    Opossum, skunk, or raccoon are all possibilities.

How did it get in?
    Look for hairs at entry/exit...then better tighten up your coop, because it'll be back for more.

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Possum or raccoon.

The more important question is how did it get in? and have you fixed it?
    Do you have a cage trap set? If not get one set, bait it with dry/canned cat food and marshmallows.
    Whatever it was it will be back, most likely tonight. And unless you make your coop and run completely predator proof it will keep coming back and taking birds until there are none left. Of until you kill it.

Do you have a way to kill what ever you catch? Relocating predators is illegal in most states.

5. kathk

kathk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    Thanks for replies! Sorry about the pic quality-it was a fairly large pile o' crap.
    Anyway, we have a cage trap set & have relocated the birds to a fort knox style coop w/ enclosure.
    It got my birds while they were free ranging between 10-12:30. We've never had anything like this in 2 1/2 years of letting them out. I think it's a raccoon or something maybe in the weasel family.
    I'm not sure what we'll do if we catch it-I'm thinking i'd like to waterboard it...[​IMG]

6. Flock In Texas

Flock In Texas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    A sword would be easiest, if you have one. If it's a skunk, I suggest asphyxiation. I'd wrap the trap up in a tarp except for the entrance to save yourself the trouble later with a skunk inside. If you have a stock tank, you can attach a rope to it and throw it in the water for a few minutes.

7. Millworker26

Millworker26 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    SE PA
    I'd be surprised if a skunk could take down a full grown chicken. During the daytime. Not very bright those skunks.

I once caught a skunk in a cage trap. I carefully covered trap with tarp and propped door open. Came back 10 minutes later and skunk was sleeping. INSIDE the open trap!

But predators surprise me every day so what do I know [​IMG]

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Why would you let go again? :rolleyes:

9. Millworker26

Millworker26 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    SE PA
    Skunks never paid me any problems. And I don't think they are smart enough to become trap shy and become "untrappable" by a neighbor if they felt so inclined to want to trap one.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Skunks are a major carrier of rabies here. For that reason alone, they are shot on sight here. They will also kill chickens and eat eggs if given the opportunity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by