What killed my chicks? Pics included

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Staciaw755, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho
    uhh so upset. Set 27 eggs and 10 made it to lock down looking great. Hatch day came and went and on day 26 I decided to,open them. This is what I found. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? 100% failure :( so sad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    sorry sweetie *hugs* don't give up on hatching yet!

I think that you had some humidity issues...
    REMEMBER to have 2 or 3 hygrometers and thermometers. DO NOT rely on the built-in hygrometer and thermometer, they are never right.

I have had good luck with the Dry Incubation method:
    Day 1-18: Add as little water as possible. Rely on egg evaporation for humidity. Keep humidity above 25% and below 45%.
    Day 19-21: 65% humidity
    Complete information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Here is a link for troubleshooting hatch failure:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

3. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho

I was trying the dry incubation method. Humidity days 1-18 was right about 27-30. Then at lock down I added al the water, sponge ect and humidity said 20% and then read low. I think my hygrometer went bad or something. On top of that I couldn't keep temp right. For today I am done but we will see what next week looks like I may try again.

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Quote: hmm yes, that could be.. this is why I always recommend at least 2, maybe 3 hygrometers. in case one fails or breaks, and to test against each other for accuracy :)

Edit:
    Also, it means that your humidity for day 1-18 might not have been right.
    If it read 20% when you tried to raise it for lockdown, and it was 27% for the first 18 days, then it was FAR too high for the first 18 days, I think.

Quote: I try to put my incubator in a central location in the house (it's in my bedroom), away from windows and doors and air vents. my dear husband leaves the front door open for 3 seconds too long and he gets an earful about the draft and the eggs :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by