What killed my Columbian Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by esagey, Sep 26, 2012.

1. esagey

esagey New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    Hi, please help. We came home this afternoon to find one hen killed and another critically injured. Both were attacked on their backends and were a bloody mess. The third Columbian was bitten on the back of the head but we think she'll make it. Not sure what could have gotten to them. They are housed in a coop during the night and we let them out in the morning into a covered dog kennel (covered and surrounded by chicken wire). The hens were found in the coop. I can't remember if I saw them with the rest of the chickens when I let them out this morning. We are new to chickens. Was it a coincidence it was all our CWs? We have anconas, astrolorps, leghorns and new hampshire reds. Also, guineas. They are all very calm and we have never seen them go after each other.

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear this, I have Columbian Wyandottes, they are very friendly, sweet birds.
    Foxes tend to take bites out of the rear/vent area or the neck. Chicken wire is misnamed- it keeps chickens in, but it doesn't keep predators out. Foxes, raccoons, etc. can get through it. Inspect your run very carefully, I'm sure you'll either find an opening or a place where they dug under.

The best thing is to replace all the chicken wire with hardware cloth (welded wire, typically with 1/2" opening).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by