What killed my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kkreason78, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kkreason78

kkreason78 New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    I found a young layer sitting on the roost, very lethargic. Wouldn't eat or drink. Could barely hold herself up. Her belly was very full and she looked like had been deficating fine. I thought maybe she had an egg stuck so I put her in some warm water. She died about 5 minutes later. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to find out what took my sweet hen. After some investigation I found she was completely full of urine. What would cause my hen to hold so much urine?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. kkreason78

kkreason78 New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    Ok. I'm new to the chicken world, one would think by now I would know that they only poo! **emberassed**
    Thank you for the info. The fluid was yellow and turned green, I'm assuming she was already septic. No egg present, just this brown mushy substance that seemed to be blocking where the eggs come out. Thank you for the resource, I will check it out.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There are so many things to learn. It will take a lifetime and more to get it all [​IMG]
    No need at all to be embarrassed, it is understandable to think the fluid would be urine.
    Poor thing, it does sound like their was a severe infection.
    I think it's great you were able to do a necropsy to investigate! That went a long way in trying to hopefully understand what was going on.
    Wishing you and the rest of your flock health and success.

1 person likes this.
  5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by