What Killed My Hen?

purplechicken7

Chirping
May 24, 2016
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
I went to my coop this morning and found my Lavender Orp hen dead. There were signs of a struggle in the bedding of the coop. It looks like the other birds tossed up the bedding trying to escape. Other than that, there are a few blood spots on my coop door. The hen that was killed was on the floor with the skin around her neck eaten. My coop is a building converted into a chicken coop that is surrounded by a dog lot. There is a roof made specifically for dog runs on the lot and I only have one enter/exit door for my birds. Any ideas of what it was?

***GRAPHIC PICS

2pzl5ja.jpg

Birds were securely locked in coop...or was the pop door in coop open??

That run is in no way secure.

We've never had an issue within the year we've owned chickens so the door stays open. I used to leave the door shut at night and open again in the morning but my dad made me leave it open. So, guess you can say I was right and dad was wrong.

Whatever it was came last night and ate all the food but it didn't set the trap off.I forgot to mention I'm in North Carolina. I tapped on the lever last night that sets off the trap until it was almost touching the floor. All I had to do this morning was pick the cage up and the door shut. So, I'm thinking either a mink or a house cat.

Back
Top Bottom