WHAT KILLED MY HENS?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jaydemorgan87, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jaydemorgan87

jaydemorgan87 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Today when my daughter went to let out our hens I heard HER SCREAM! I cam running to witness a massacar. The coups latch was broken off and my hens were scattered around my back yard dead. Their was blood on the top of the coup, feathers, and almost looked like scratch or teeth marks or something! All the hens had their heads decapitated! Ones insides were missing, ones body was intact, and ones was showing a little meat, and one was gone! I am so devistated! I have raised these hens from eggs and they are over 1 year old! I have NEVER seen anything like this before! I have NEVER had this problem before. Can anyone help me with figuring out what creature did this to my Pets! Please help I have been crying all day, and am not sure what to tell my 5 year old about what she had seen today... Thank you all for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

COUPE WAS ABOUT 3 FEET OFF THE GROUNT, HAD LOCKING LATCH, AND WE PUT THEM IN EVER NIGHT BY HAND, IT HAD NO STEP. THEY WERE VERY SWEET LOVEABLE CHICKENS. AS YOU CAN SEE IN PIC. THEIR ARE NO HEADS ON THE HENS! I DO NOT LIVE IN COUNRTY, JUST REG. BACKYARD IN DEVELOPEMENT!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Dogs and other large predators can break open latches, and dogs in particular will go on killing sprees like that. So sorry for your loss - and for your daughter's distress.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. grace112

grace112 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Florida
    I would also say dogs, other predators would have either eaten the kill or drug it off to save for later. I'm sorry for your loss

4. sharonlacouture

sharonlacouture Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Raccoons are known to rip the heads off and kill multiple birds. I am sorry for your loss.

5. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I have seen a coon and a bird of prey eat the head and pick the meat from the carcase in a similar manner.
    If coop is 3 feet off ground, I would suspect a coon.

just my .02

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking raccoon. They have those little thumbs and can unlatch things.........I've heard it said if a two year old human can unlatch something, so can a coon. I've seen dogs kill but not eat the heads.........in fact when I've seen birds actually eaten by dogs, not just played with and killed, they've always left the heads and feet. And coons are everywhere, they can get over basically any suburban fence.

7. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I think raccoons as well. On another thread many people recommended Dukes Dog Proof raccon traps and explained them in depth. I am getting them for the family of raccoons who have been coming around.

8. jaydemorgan87

jaydemorgan87 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks I will look into thoes traps. I will catch that sucker.......!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by