1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What killed my mille fleur

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stonerowfarm, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    Went out this morning to open up the tractor and found my Mimi dead lying in the snow next to the door. The tractor is ALMOST completely covered over the top with deer netting. Near the tractor there is an opening but the rest is covered. Whatever did it killed her right there, very little mess around her. She was completely gutted with head and feet intact. On the roof of the tractor there was three separate areas where the snow was disturbed (see pic).

Initially thought maybe a hawk (since it probably happened at dusk) but I thought hawks carried away their catch. Then we thought maybe an owl, but again I thought owls carried away their prey. No other tracks anywhere around.

Any ideas? I still have six other mille fleurs in the tractor and by the look of it won't be able to transfer them to one of the larger coops until spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Might be a Raccoon... Sorry about your loss [​IMG]

3. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I initially thought of a coon, but absolutely no tracks on the ground either in or out of the run. Nothing in the general area either. Absolutely only tracks anywhere in that area of the yard are bunny. That's why I thought of something that flew in and somehow ducked under the deer netting.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Those are wing marks on the top of your coop. Either a hawk or an owl, and no they do not always fly away with their prey. Your bantam was small enough that they could have, but I' m guessing the deer netting impeded their flight somewhat.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I had a Raven kill my D'Uccle.

[​IMG] It is so painful. [​IMG]

6. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Had my DH look at the pics and he is stumped...No tracks means it had to be some kind of bird of prey. But what kind of bird just leaves the carcas? I know here in Oregon all of our birds of prey would have taken the whole bird, I know from experience. I wish I could hep with this but i'm really stumped??? [​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm sorry that you lost your bird.

Replace the deer netting and chicken wire with hardware cloth. Whatever got your bird will be back for more.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Or perhaps it was windy or snowed after the killing, obliterating the tracks.

9. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Quote:Or perhaps it was windy or snowed after the killing, obliterating the tracks.

In the pics it didn't look like anymore snow had fallen, wind, maybe? Hmmmm....you might be right.

10. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    coons make little feet prints, those look like bird talon marks to me. I have had hawks pick at the body's and leave them for another day. Plus I agree with the deer netting it might have got stuck paniced and left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by