What killed my mille fleurs?*** GRAPHIC PICS***

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by IroquoisEgg, Aug 8, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    My two 6 week old Roos were killed last night inside their coop, and my polish was bitten under her wing, but so far is surviving. I was thinking rats, but not sure. Or maybe pecking? Here are 2 pics I took, they're gross, but I am hoping someone will have a better idea of what we're dealing with. Sad day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Chupacabra?

Seriously though those wounds look small. Do you have weasels or any small predators like that? If they were killed inside the coop you better do some serious reinforcing because the pred will be back.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry.

Do you see an entry point for the predator? I am guessing - just guessing - rat or maybe weasel?

[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

So sorry for your loss. I don't have any experience with predators inside coops.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    You were rite looks like the work of rats, i have seen the same thing a time or two threw the years.

Sorry for your loss, Millis are my favorite out of all the different breeds i have here.

6. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    I agree with chickensrfood..well, maybe not the Chupacabra part. [​IMG]
    Rats would be more interested in the food, and maybe eggs.
    However, a weasel sounds valid. They tend to attack the head of the prey. In your pictures it looks like it was only interested in the head and abdomen, or where the soft internal organs are. And weasels can get into very small spaces.
    You will definitely want to get it out of there. May try trapping it outside the coop with some canned catfood for bait. Just make sure you have the right trap so it won't get out.
    Good luck with your hunt!

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like rat damage... we have them killing our pigeons by ripping out the crop to get to the grain inside... ate a bit of breast meat and brain and left the rest, back the next night to take another bird down... gone on for over a week before we finally caught it..

8. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    thanks all, we don't have weasels around here according to my DH. But we do have lots of rats, the dogs are always chasing them and then my DH takes a BB gun to them. But, I know if there's a couple seen...well we probably have tons. Well, no losses last night thank goodness. We did alot of work trying to make their coop safer, and our big permanent one has cinder blocks they'd have to chew,or dig through. I will post pics on the appropriate thread, 2 more days and it should be done!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by