What killed my RIR hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MtHelixHens, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MtHelixHens

MtHelixHens New Egg

Jun 21, 2009
    La Mesa, CA
    I had a year and a half old RIR Hen. About 2-3 months ago she started moulting for the first time. The weather where I live here is dry and warm. I did have a problem with mice but I got it under control quickly. I did not use any poisons ... I drown them. Come to think of it the RIR went crazy and started trying to eat the dead mice, which I took away from her. The Barred Rock wasnt as interested. As expected with the moulting she lost weight, didnt eat as much and quit laying. Her appetite wasnt the greatest. She had no diarreah. But seemed sleepy and weak but not always. Her poop was pine green. She also seemed more uncoordinated lately. My Barred Rock Hen seems fine in fact she's energetic, Fat , healthy, but shes has bouts of diarreah sometimes. Her appetite is excellent. This morning I went to give them their daily 2 blueberries each before work and the RIR seemed uninterested and sleepy. When I got home she was dead. Her feet, crown etc seems fine. Any ideas? Should I worry about my Barred Rock Hen?

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. It's really hard to tell right now . I'm rooting for your barred rock hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by