What Killed Our Chicken? Help Rule out Bad Chicken **Pictures**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mmww621, Dec 1, 2016.

1. mmww621

mmww621 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    TIA!!!

Found one of our favorite girls this morning and would appreciate any advice about what could done this, mainly to rule out that she was killed by another in the flock. We have a mixed flock, 2 barred rocks, 2 golden comets, 2 easter eggers, 2 silver laced wyandottes. We live in North FL and some of the girls are ugly molting and we've had inconsistently hot/cold weather. The golden comets where born Feb '16 and the others all 1-2 years older. The run is a 10' x10' dog kennel with covering and there is an attached coop (plus run area) that adds 25 sq ft. The coop area is pretty fortified but the run has larger chain link (standard dog kennel). The chickens free range most afternoons, as long as we are home.

Over the summer we made a big mistake and put the younger golden comets in with the big girls too soon and one golden comet was pecked to death quickly and another so badly injured(both on necks) we were concerned she wouldn't make it (she did with lots of doctoring, yay). After that incident we kept the two remaining golden comets in our smaller coop/run that is about 25 sq ft, but all are let out together.

Less than a month ago, we were concerned the wyandottes (biggest birds) were bullying the others and we put those two in run alone and golden comets in gen pop and things appeared fine. We fed the chickens around 9 last night when my husband came home with feed and filling the hoppers woke the birds up and they came out of their house and into the run. I found the dead golden comet up next to the fence of the run this morning.

Neck missing lots of feathers but no apparent break in skin.
    Inside body cavity dug out from bottom.
    Surprisingly little feathers, most feathers around are from poor ugly molting barred rock.

Would chickens cause the kind of injuries found or did a predator take advantage of the chickens coming down and grabbed her? Concerned about aggression because when I immediately let the chickens out so I could "take care of her", one of the larger easter eggers attacked one of the wyandottes and they looked like roosters fighting I had to break it up with the hose. Easter Egger was put up for an hour and then let back out and all have been foraging without incident today. Maybe just stress from a predator event??

Thank you again!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I'd say a dog

1 person likes this.
  3. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Me too, dogs rip the feathers off the neck like that

1 person likes this.
  4. mmww621

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Do you think a dog would be able to do that through chain link fence? No sign of anything getting into the coop/run. One of the neighbors has a Jack Russel that has been known to wander off their farm and onto our place. And, pretty confident it wasn't a chicken that did this? Chicken on chicken violence is my biggest concern.

Thanks guys!!!

5. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    `could have been a coon

6. mmww621

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Yeah, racoon was my first thought. Never lost one like this. Only carried off by foxes and then killed by other chicken. Thanks for help!

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Dogs like to kill just for fun.Thats my guess at least

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Raccoon is the only thing that could reach thru chain link and kill.....if there was no other way into enclosure.

1 person likes this.
  9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Are you sure nothing could get to the bird except through the fence? That is a lot of damage to inflict through a fence. Kill looks like something a possum would do.

1 person likes this.
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Like a small opossum. Young opossums small enough to go through chain link fence or climb it might surprise you in what they can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by