What killed our Duck?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TMS-WI, Sep 15, 2010.

1. TMS-WI

TMS-WI New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    I went out at 10:30pm to find one of our Cayuga Duck with its head laying 3 inches from its body. Only a few feather around it, did not look like there was a struggle. The duck looks unharmed except for the head is off, no bite marks, wounds or missing feathers. There was only a small spot of blood. They are in a pen with 2x4 metal fencing that is 52” tall. No holes where dug into pen. It is like someone walked in, grabbed the duck and pulled its head off and set it down, except no blood. There is 2 other ducks in the pen and they fine (although they did not come out of their house all day). It is attached to our chicken coop that has 14 chickens and 2 baby peacocks.

We are very worried about the rest of our animals! We have no idea what would have done this and would appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Is the area where you ducks are uncovered? To me, it sounds a lot like what a falcon would do, except it's odd that it wasn't eaten or even plucked unless it was scared away or something. Other people would have more to say about this.

I know when falcons hunt shorebirds, they swoop down and knock out their prey with their talons, then they often remove the head first before eating the rest.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. TMS-WI

TMS-WI New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    The pen is not covered. It was done after dark, between 8:00pm and 10:30pm.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Well, I had that happen to both my ducks - it was either fox or coyote, but you say your it was in the pen. Not really sure.....
    Maybe an owl? Hawk doesn't hunt after dark

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, then it could be an owl. I had someone else complain about an owl eating only the heads of their chickens. It has to be an aerial predator since it sounds like you have a fortress otherwise. But, all accounts I've heard about owls and ducks is that there would be a struggle. So, the mystery continues.

6. TMS-WI

TMS-WI New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    The head was still there. Thats what is so strange, something torn it's head off and then left it. Most animals will not kill something and not eat ANY of it.

It was also in the middle of the pen (about 8'x16') not near the side. And there was no sign of a struggle.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by