What killed the roo? Definitely need help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Supermommy486, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Well I posted a little earlier, I had a sick roo. He has passed and now a necroscopy is out of the question. So I could realllllly use y'all help.

Yesterday evening I found him in the coop lethargic. I isolated him immediately and then went to get him later on after getting a box ready in the garage for him. In the make shift pen I found a rattle snake baby, I have no evidence that he was bitten but it's always a possibility I'm sure.
    So this morning I go and check on him, he is then lethargic & has labored breathing. I went to check on him again and I saw him literally take his last two breaths. I noticed then that his comb was turning whitish at the base and maybe a darker purple on the ends of his comb but I'm not for sure. I was going to get a necroscopy done on him so I rushed to put kids down for nap and went to get him ready for the fridge and it was too late.
    When I laid him down a yellowish liquid came out of his mouth. Also his poop was a little watery with white and a small bit of green in it. It has been raining here for a few days now because of the hurricane in case that makes a difference. He was probably about a year old, no mucous in eyes or nostrils that I could see. Vent was clean.

There was a disease list I found earlier and of course I can't find now so any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    Thank you SO much.
    -Jenna

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

It is not too late to send his body for necropsy unless you've already disposed of it. Even if you buried the body, you can dig it up, put it in a plastic bag (or several [​IMG]) and put the body in the refrigerator until it can be transported for exam.

3. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Really? I will go get it just in case but it had ants on it (Fast little things) and it was stiff. I didn't realize I could still send it off.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

It's certainly not the ideal situation, but the carcass should still be able to give up enough information for a probable (if not definite) diagnosis.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    They are supposed to be dead for sending for a necropsy. Just needs to be freshly dead- ie not rotten or frozen. It is fine to send in a bird you find dead, as long as it is not decaying/rotten. Best case is euthanize/dispatch the ill bird, but in bag, in cooler, with ice pack and send. But if you find a unexplained deceased bird with a few hours- do the same thing. A couple of ants walking on it will not make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by