What killed this hen

Feathered_Texans

Songster
Sep 24, 2018
Central Texas
575745C7-B51D-4A65-9AE8-3B8F0640C11B.jpeg
A while ago we had a black Australorp hen get attacked in the night. We still haven’t figured out what the cause was. She was completely free ranged, and none of the other chickens were ever attacked. There was a trail of blood leading to her body, but the only injury was a leg wound. The blood was found from the roost and went around to the other side of the barn. I guess it could have been something killing for fun but i would think that she would of been I bit more torn up. It also appeared that she walked away and then died.
I have included a picture of her, if you have any ideas of what could have done this please let me know.

Last edited:
View attachment 1677721 A while ago we had a black Australorp hen get attacked in the night. We still haven’t figured out what the cause was. She was completely free ranged, and none of the other chickens were ever attacked. There was a trail of blood leading to her body, but the only injury was a leg wound. The blood was found from the roost and went around to the other side of the barn. I guess it could have been something killing for fun but i would think that she would of been I bit more torn up. It also appeared that she walked away and then died.
I have included a picture of her, if you have any ideas of what could have done his please let me know.
My guess is a dog. A wild predator would have made off with the body and eaten it.

Back
Top Bottom