1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Kind Are They? New Turkey Poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Patchesnposies, May 7, 2008.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Papa went to the feed store again and came home with four little turkey babies. Two of which have strikingly different colorations. Black with yellow faces and wing tips and their legs are black with white feet.

They were all marked "historical" turkeys, but the owner didn't know what kinds that meant.

Can anyone who has raised different kinds of turkeys help me? I'll gladly send you a photo if that would help, though I imagine someone will probably know by the discription.

Thanks!

Deb

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
  3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
  4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Do they look like this???

[​IMG]

If they do, they are black spanish I am pretty sure.

5. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Maggie,

That is exactly what they look like. I'd bet the farm they are the black spanish.

Thanks to all who posted to help us out!

Deb

6. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Yep, definetely blacks from you description. What do the other two babies look like?

7. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Warcard,

The other two look just like Farmgirl01's pictures (in another post) of Narragansett poults. I am thinking we may go back to the feed store and get a couple more of each kind to up the odds of getting one of each gender.

I think both breeds are gorgeous birds.

Deb

8. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Wow those chicks are georgous!!! i have RP poults that came from my stock and they are all yellow. You are so lucky to get heratage turkeys, all anyone has around here are bbb or whites. Crystal

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If anybody has an interest in raising and breeding Black Spanish, it's Extremely common for them to be crossed or mixed so birds pure for black are no longer common. Impure blacks show faint barring on the wings, some bronze off color feathers etc.

Heard a rumor that blacks are the least popular so the hatcheries aren't too movitated to keep pure stocks and often just cross blacks with bronzes and sell the blacks as "Black Spanish" for the orders and sell the rest as bronzes. Sad.

Would be great to see a few more people keeping and breeding for solid blacks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by