What kind of Ameracauna chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCgirl21, Feb 25, 2013.

1. NCgirl21

NCgirl21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    We bought these at Tractor Supply yesterday. They are Ameracauna's, but can anybody narrow down what TYPE of Ameracuana they are? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    That's because they're really Easter Eggers, probably. Tractor Supply orders from a hatchery and hatcheries sell Easter Eggers but call them Ameraucanas. They're cuties - I have an EE chick in my brooder right now too!

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are ee's and there is no telling for sure on what they will look like and to earlly for genders

4. NCgirl21

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina
    Huh? Wonder how Tractor Supply gets away with selling these as something they aren't. Doesn't seem right! How can you tell they are not Ameracaunas and are EEs? Thanks for the advice!

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

hatcheries sell them as ameraucanas, therefore, so does TSC. they have the wrong coloring for ameraucanas. the chickmunk pattern is very common for EEs, and no ameraucana colors start out like that... sorry. EEs are good birds too!

6. NCgirl21

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina
    Thank you for explaining how you know the difference. I was trying to find pictures to figure out the difference and couldn't find any. I don't mind having EE's, but I feel that they should be sold as what they are. Thanks again for the info.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I agree, but the hatcheries apparently think people prefer to be misled.

This website has pictures of the 8 colors who are accepted. Any and all who are accepted colors.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by