What kind of animal?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SecretHavenFarm, Mar 25, 2011.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    2 weeks ago my horse had a really bad bout of colic. Vet came out and told me I should check on him every hour.

So I stayed up until 4 am checking on my horse every hour, I am pregnant and had stayed up all day and literally all night checking on my horse. So I finally decided after the 4 am check I could try to get some sleep. So I went to bed around 4:30 after hubby left for work. I didnt sleep well, got back up at 6 to go check on my horse.

I walked around the gate, and instantly saw a pile of feathers in my arena. Something got in the run. I lost 10 silkies, 2 full grown wyandotte hens, one of which was just decapitated and left there. 3 silkies were just killed and left. In a matter of 1.5 hours I tried to get some sleep this all happened.

I just collapsed and cried.

Later that day my schnauzer found my other 2 wyandotte hens hiding in the bushes.

I have now learned about welded wire mesh for the run and how to better preditor proof my run.

But what I wanted to know is what kind of animal eats that many chickens? We found were the chicken wire was pulled off the wood. The way it was pulled, my husband and his friend thinks racoon. But can one racoon do this much damage? and eat that many chickens? What ever it is keeps coming back, I keep pushing back the wire and when I com eout in the morning its pulled back out, so we are going to be baiting a trap this weekend. But im not convinced its a racoon.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I vote Raccoon it sounds just like what they would do, and they will keep coming back until caught and dealt with.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You would be amazed at how strong a racoon is. That is probably what it was. When the chickens run, sometimes they will grab them by the head or neck and pull it off, especially through wire. I'm so sorry this happened. You might consider locking all the animals in and setting a leg trap. Darn coons...

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I had a raccoon grab and just rip chicken wire open to get at my rabbits when I was a kid. Chicken wire is crap! I'd never use it. Welded wire and hardware cloth all the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by