What kind of baby feeder to get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dilly, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Dilly

    Dilly Cooped Up

    Apr 15, 2008
    I need to know if one is better than the other. Baby chick feeder. I have the long metal one with the holes in it. tough like. Should I be using the plastic type with the open tough? You know the plastic bottle that screws into the feeder bottom and you tip it over. I just keep looking at this metal one thinking will the babies stick their little heads in that to eat?
  2. NewGuineaChooks

    NewGuineaChooks Songster

    Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    The long metal chick feeder that has a row of feeding holes along each side is -great- for feeding chicks. They stick their heads in to eat, but the top keeps them from scratching the food out onto the floor. I find that mine need food scattered on a plate for the first 3-4 days until the figure out how to eat out of the trough.

    I think the plastic & bottle combination you described is for their water, instead of the food.
  3. M.J

    M.J Songster

    Apr 15, 2007
    i have the feeders that you screw the top on which i love i feel it takes up less room and with the long feeders i had problems since i had bantams that they kept climbing into the holes
  4. cjeanean

    cjeanean Can't Decide

    Mar 5, 2008
    you can use either, the one with a jar (as long as you have a feeder base) or the trough type. With the trough type I've noticed they use it as a perch, with their jar waterer they perch on top of that, too.....it's a no win situation. I guess it just depends on your individual preference.
  5. plapczynski

    plapczynski Songster

    Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    You got the right one. I had both, with the mason jar one a few chicks kept scratching all the feed out (emptied the mason jar in a few hours.) The row type with holes will save a lot on wasted feed.


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: