What kind of baby feeder to get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dilly, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I need to know if one is better than the other. Baby chick feeder. I have the long metal one with the holes in it. tough like. Should I be using the plastic type with the open tough? You know the plastic bottle that screws into the feeder bottom and you tip it over. I just keep looking at this metal one thinking will the babies stick their little heads in that to eat?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have both. I use the round one for a smaller amount of chicks because it's smaller and the longer one for a larger number of chicks because it's bigger! I hope this makes sense!!! I haven't had any problems with either feeder. The chicks have eaten out of both feeders just fine. I will tell you that the longer feeder seems to work better once the chicks start getting bigger. I just leave the top off so they can get their larger heads in to eat. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    for the three older ones i have the round 9-hole metal feeder with a quart jar.
    for the 12 babies i have the red covered plastic trough thingy from TSC that you can flip open. New bantys are still small enough to climb in there and poop though. It depends on how much room you have. The trough style ones take up less usable space because you can put them agaist the wall IMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by