What kind of Bantam Hen is Josie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moonflower17, Jan 29, 2014.

1. moonflower17

moonflower17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

Josie is a bantam hen. She is on the small side, even for a bantam.

When she first arrived she seemed to think she would be the queen and was quickly taken down a few pegs by the other three bantams. Now she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and seems kind of nervous.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. mmglopsandrocks

mmglopsandrocks New Egg

Aug 9, 2012
    Old english game bantam. Very good and calm breed. I had a pair and they were great.

3. Perfect Polish

Perfect Polish Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2013
    Band Life!
    Same here. Love my OEGBs Zoro and Heidi are their names.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She may be an Old English Game, but I think that she may also be a hatchery-quality Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam.

5. moonflower17

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you!

From the pictures (especially the second one posted by Perfect Polish) I would say OEGB.

I checked online for pictures of Black Tailed Puff Japanese but couldn't find one that looked real similar to Josie, even tho I realize characteristics vary in identical breeds.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I also think this little red hen will become more relaxed as spring comes 'round.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. Cute little bird!

7. moonflower17

Jan 20, 2014
    Wow. Great pic of Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam right on this site. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839213/hope-its-a-hen-whats-the-breed

now thinking Josie's ruff makes her look more like the BTBJ...

To add to the complication, chickens can cross breed like very other animal. Not that it matters all that much exactly what she is. Unless you're raising chickens for show, who cares? :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by