What kind of Bantams are these?

verlyn78

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Riverside CA

I was at the feed store today and they had these two bantam Roosters and I just had to bring them home, but I do not know what kind they are. The feed store lady said that they got them from a couple that go to shows and these two where culls from there stock, but she could not remember what kind they where. I have been looking and pictures and I think the Orange and Black one is either an English game, or a Dutch. The White one I think is some kind of Du Uccle. Any one have any guesses?

Dutch bantams have white earlobes, OEGB are single combed at hatch and dubbed for showing after 1 year. Is that a rose comb on both of them? A D'uccles has feather feet, D'anvers are clean legged, but both breeds have beards and muffs so i don't think he fits with either of those. I'll keep looking. They are very handsome birds, you are lucky you can keep more boys.

Yeah I looked at all the Bantam images that google had and that was the best I could come up with. I did not notice the feathers on the D'uccle legs in the pictures. I don't know if it would help to singling out breeds, but it has the beginnings of a single spur on each leg.

The second one is a rose comb. The other looks dubbed, hence why I say OEGB.
For some reason I was seeing wattles on the dark bird, probably lack of sleep, his coloring is similar to black breasted red but the bird in the image has black secondaries rather than brown, leg color is correct for bbr. I enjoy the OEG's but with so many varieties it's alot of info to take in and keep straight.

What do you mean by dubbed?
Dubbing is the removal/trimming of the comb, earlobes and wattles on game cocks. To show an American, Old English or Modern Game male in a show they have to be dubbed. Some states are making exceptions I believe, but you have to keep in mind they origionally were bred for fighting. Dubbing a bird lessened the chance it would be injured and bleed to death.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom