1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of Banties are we?? Got pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gabbyscritters, May 9, 2009.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Hi All:) My 8 year old daughter finally got her banty chicks from Urch/Turnland. Of course we did not get a list of what they sent so the hunt is on to determine what breeds she has. We are dealing with a 8 year old who is really into her birds.

This is the list of the breeds she sent for them to select from, hoping to get 5 or 6 different types. They might have subsituted chicks that were not on her list. I think I got a few figurred out.

beadred white silkie, beared golden polish or bearded buff or white crested blue polish, white frizzle or black frizzle, white or birchen cochin, buckeye, salmon faverolle, wheaton ameraucana, mille fleur, silver penciled rock.

So the question is- what does she have??
    I used her description of each group of birds, I think she has 8 different type?

[​IMG]
    Group1- feathery feet, chipmunk stripes, brown colors, big eyes.

[​IMG]
    Group2- Clean feet, chipmunk stripes, reddish brown.

[​IMG]
    Group 3-Clean feet, brown with a little grey, white on belly.

[​IMG]
    Group4- Feathery feet, Black with some white on belly and wings. Birchen maybe?

[​IMG]
    Group5- Feathery feet, blondish red, small & fast.

[​IMG]
    Group 6- clean legs, white top knot, blackish and white body. Black or blue polish?

[​IMG]
    Group7- clean legs, top knot, brownish gold. Goldne polis?

[​IMG]
    Group8-
    feathery feet, yellow with light grey on wings and back. White cochin or maybe frizzle. She wants frizzles bad but the wing feathers that just started to come in look straight.

The info on splayed legs I recieved on here was great. The band aid leg hobble is working great on her little polish.
    Ok chick experts what are they!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:Cute! [​IMG]

but I'm no expert [​IMG]

3. gabbyscritters

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    My daughter just did a toe count. Everyone has 4 toes. We already knew she did not get any Silkies but she was still hoping maybe for Salmon Faverolles. My guess we might be looking for eggs for a few of the breeds she really wanted. She sold all her chikens last fall to get some nice "fancy" chickens. At only 8 she loves her birds and has good luck at hatching out eggs and selling the chicks. We figgured as long as she is raising chickens she might as well do it with some nice quality stock. Hopefully she will have some better quality birds than our mutt banties he had before, even though they were cute.[​IMG]

4. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Group 3 looks like Silver Penciled Rocks. I just got some and they look about the same.

And I agree that group 8 looks like cochins.

5. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    no expert here either but I would say....

group 1 dark brahmas
    group 5 d'uccle mille fleurs
    group 7 golden laced polish

6. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Well don't claim to be an expert but my guess would be

group 1 is Partridge Cochin
    group 2 ???
    group 3 is Silver Pencil Rocks
    group 4 is Black Cochins
    group 5 is Mille Fleur D'Uccles
    group 6 is White Crested Black Polish
    group 7 is Gold Laced Polish
    group 8 is White Cochins

7. gabbyscritters

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    I thought that group 5 might be d'uccle mille fleurs and that group 7 was golden laced polish but had not thought about group 3 being Silver Penciled Rocks. We did not order dark brahmas but I checked some other pictures of them and they do look like it might be, they are bigger than the other chicks. Urch does carry them. We have never had brahmas I hope they are doclie and friendly. My daughter spens a ton of time with her chickens and they get very tame. The chicks are already climbing over you when you refill the food dish.

8. gabbyscritters

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Thanks for all the input so far. No one seems to know what group 2 is. Any chance they could be Buckeye? They overall look like the coloring of buckeyes but most of them do have brown striping on the backs?

9. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    Quote:I got 2 dark brahmas from urch about a month ago and they look just like group one. They are my least friendly in the bunch but I am thinking they are both roos so that would explain a lot here is one of them a day old and a pic of what it looks like now. They have some serious feathers on the feet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    and I got 2 golden laced polish and they are beautiful from him. Be happy you didn't get silkies from him because out of the 4 I bought 2 ended up mutts!!! I was very upset

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by