1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of Banty is this???????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by theswede, Sep 10, 2009.

1. theswede

theswede Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    This banty was hanging around my barn and I finally got him, but I don't know what kind he is. Can someone tell me???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Maybe a Golden Birchen OEG bantam??? I was comparing his pic to those on www.feathersite.com.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Looks like it, but i wouldn't say a pure one..

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Looks like part golden duckwing OE

5. tmpshrty96

tmpshrty96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    i have an older silver duckwing that looks like that

6. theswede

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Ok so it might be a Golden Birchen OEG bantam, or a golden or silver duck wing. Thanks everyone, maybe someone else can put a definite on him. Pretty much all of ya'll agree he is probably mixed??

7. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:He isn't a duckwing, i will tell you that. He is a crowwing (meaning, color only shows on the shoulder of the wing, and not in the wing bay as well. See silver duckwings/BBreds for that.. Or pyles).

The crowwings come in at Brown reds and a few other breeds, birchens are the crossing of a brown red with a silver duckwing so it replaces the red in them with silver. He is either a silver birchen, or golden birchen. I don't know, i just call them birchens and i believe that is all the standard recognizes them as.

The black color in the hackles and basic coloration is typical for black fowl crossed with silvers (IE, brown reds and silver duckwings).

8. theswede

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Wow! Great details!! Thanks for the info DT. Guess I'll hold on to him unless someone claims him. Is he a keeper? I deal in pure breeds, so if he is a mix I'll find him a home, unless he's a keeper.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You FOUND him just wandering around? That's kind of lucky.

10. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Well his type looks considerable to me by those pictures. I guess if you found a good hen you may could try breeding him just to see what springs out.. But i'd think since it's unlikely he is pure that may just muddy the pure blood.

Of course what's pure anyway? American old english game bantams have dutch and rosecomb blood in them to help give them more tail since the original old english from the UK have a whip tail. There's several ways to prove it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by