1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of banty?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlips, Mar 15, 2007.

1. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I don't know how to post a pic, but maybe someone can tell me what kind of banty I came home from the feed store with today. It's all light gray and looks like a tiny dust bunny with legs. Very very fluffy, too. Any guesses would be appreciated, as I haven't had a banty before, only full size chickens. Thank you!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]I have no idea, but I love your description-dust bunny with legs![​IMG]

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hello,
    My guess would be a Bantam Silkie. Look those up online using google. It sounds like you are exactly describing a silkie. They are more like a fuzzy fur thing than feathers. They come in all different colors and have five toes with fur on the feet.

What area are you in? I am in CHas. SC and could not for the life of me find a chick or pullet silkie, so I mail ordered the eggs to hatch myself.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Chickenlips,
    If you rule out the silky, you may want to look at the porcelain. They are very tiny with the adult weights being 26 oz and 22 oz. I call it a smokey gray coloring. Let us know what you find out.
    Gayle

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are pics of my silkies... Do they look similar to this? You can also check out www.feathersite.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep! Those look like nice dust bunnies to me. How cute! [​IMG]

7. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi CarriBrown,

A bit off topic but... I have a new to me used computer. It's 2005 emachine. I can't seen to "see" the posted pictures (the ones in the messages). Is there something I need to do or download in order to see these missing images? Thanks!

8. chickenlips

Mar 3, 2007
    I have figured out my little dust bunny is not a silkie since it only has 4 toes and it's legs and feet are bare of any fuzz, although it looks like a picture of your blue silkie chick, Carrie. Thank you for your website, by the way. Very helpful! And the search goes on...!

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oh, Silkies can have four toes but you wouldn't be able to show it. But it doesn't have feathers on it's feet, huh? I wonder if it's a cross....
    Do you have a picture of it? Load a pic onto www.photobucket.com and we can walk you through the rest. Posting pics is really easy.
    And Fowl- I know nothing about computers! [​IMG] Do you have high speed Internet? The only thing I can think of is if you have dial up, the pictures are too much for the computer to load in a decent amount of time. The pictures are high res.
    And as far as Daisy and Gwen, they had their puffs trimed today. I forgot those litte boogers even had eyeballs!!!

10. chickenlips

Mar 3, 2007
    Carri, I'll get a pic of my baby tomorrow and try my hand at posting a pic then. I'm not too computer savy, but I'll give it a go! Thank you for your encouragement. By the way, your little silkies are gorgeous! I hope my little one looks half as pretty as yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by