What kind of bedding do you use for your ducks?

Lex123

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
For my two pekin ducklings I have been using pine shavings for bedding but it seems that they were somehow getting cut on the back of their legs from it. I put some neosporin (without pain releif) and it seems that they healed! I currently built a duck house for when they are ready to live outside. But I’m not sure what bedding to use! I use pee pee pads in where they are staying now but that won’t work for much longer. Any recommendations? Is hay better? Thanks!

hay is not good for bedding, it gets moldy fast and the mold can kill them. straw and pine (never cedar!) shavings are the two best beddings
I was using pine shavings and it’s what everyone recommends but that is what was irritating their legs. So I’m not sure what to do

-What is the flooring underneath the pine shavings?
-Where are you sourcing your bedding? Farm & feed store, saw mill, online etc..
-Where the cuts just a one time instance or is this a continual issue?
-Do you have had rough wood, sharp wire or basically anything that your ducks have access to that is sharp even just a little bit?

-What is the flooring underneath the pine shavings?
-Where are you sourcing your bedding? Farm & feed store, saw mill, online etc..
-Where the cuts just a one time instance or is this a continual issue?
-Do you have had rough wood, sharp wire or basically anything that your ducks have access to that is sharp even just a little bit?
I got my pine shavings from tractor supply. The cuts were on the back of their legs. And on both of my ducks the marks were in the same exact spot on the bends of their legs. They were not exposed to anything sharp. They are almost 3 weeks old so I have them in an extra large dog cage and the bottom Was a plastic tray. Once I switched to pee pee pads and put neosporin the marks went away. I’m certain it was the pine shavings but I’m not sure if anyone else ever had this problem it is very strange to me

Pine pellets? As long as they're not eating pellet food. It's often used in horse stall and cat litter boxes. It's very absorbent and it kind up fluffs up and reminds me of sand in texture, but softer.
They are actually eating purina duck food which is pellets. Maybe they would mistake the bedding as their food?

@KaleIAm Has had experience with pine shavings cutting the ducks as well I believe.
Yes, my ducks were having issues from pine shavings and aspen shavings, both. Two of my six ducks repeatedly had sores on their feet for about a year. I would take them to the vet, treat the sores, the sores would heal, and come right back.

Finally I asked my vet why they were getting the sores and we talked about my ducks' environment. She told me to remove the wood shavings and use straw or hay as bedding. She preferred hay - as it is softer and closer to natural grass that ducks walk on. She explained that ducks need very soft surfaces and that if I bring my ducks inside they need to not walk on hard floors, so I'll need to put down thick layers of towels.

I did everything she recommended. I removed all hard surfaces and covered everything with 4-6 inches of hay. My ducks healed up and have NEVER had foot sores again. It has been about 4 years now without one sore.

I did switch to straw because it is easier to work with. Hay gets stuck together and is harder to spot clean. Both hay and straw need cleaning more regularly than wood shavings. It is worth it to me so that my ducks don't have pain.

Back
Top Bottom