What kind of blue is this Muscovy drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VA Raptor, Feb 25, 2015.

1. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    I purchased my first ducks last month - a Muscovy trio - two chocolate ducks and a blue drake.

They're all fabulous, but I'm in love with the drake's color/pattern (sucker for blue animals), and would like to learn more about how to breed more of this color. I'm not necessarily looking for show colors...just pretty pets/lawn ornaments.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad picture. I can't wait until the weather breaks and I can let them out of the isolation pen!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Starstuff969

Starstuff969 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Lone Star State
    Nice

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Blues come in a variety of shades... i see them here i have a very blue heavy flock... How old are the birds you got? it doesn't look that big for a drake.

Here i'll show some of mine.. some of my boys over the years..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can give you a color genetic link to help you sort what produces what..

http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/genetics.html

4. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    Thanks for the link and sharing pictures of your flock! It appears I would get blue and black from what I already have. I'm happy with that!

The picture I posted is terrible. They're roughly 5-6 months old now - I'd say the drake is easily twice the size of the ducks. He seems large to me, but I don't have anything to compare him with yet (hoping to get a few more from a BYC member this Spring). Is there any name for the color pattern? Or is my drake just blue?

I'm just happy they came through the isolation period without a hitch. Can't wait to put in a larger pool and turn them loose more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by