what kind of bulb?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kimice, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have seen conflicting bulb wattages on here for the incubators. Just wondering if it is better to use a 60 watt or a 25 watt? I was using a 15 watt which took it up to 99.5 but when i open the top for just a second the them lowers by like 20 degrees, and it takes a while for it to get back up to the right temperature. I am assuming a higher wattage bulb will help even this out. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I am trying to get my eggs in tonight!

Also, just curious...can you use a compact flourescent bulb in the bator?[​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The fluorescent bulbs don't generate enough heat.

3. kimice

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:Thought that might be the case. Just wanted to double check [​IMG]

4. kimice

Apr 30, 2011
    Any suggestions on the wattage question?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use 15 watt incandescent bulbs and they work fine for me. If it were me I would increase to a 25 watt. Do you have a thermostat? I don't and I don't want to take a chance of cooking my eggs. I have come out and found the incubator at 103 but I know it wasn't at that temp for very long and my hatch was still good. It does take longer for the incubator to recover but it takes quite a long time for the internal temp of the eggs to go down. As long as my humidity is good, I don't worry too much.

6. kimice

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice. Glad to know I'm not the only one using a 15 watt bulb! I think i will try for the 25 watt and skip the 60 watt. LIke you said. I don't want to cook my chickies. I do have a thermostat and a fan. I am so excited! I can't wait to get the eggs in. I really hope it works out. If i get even 1 chick out of the deal I will be impressed with myself. lol. I am not very mechanical, but I hooked this up the best I could. So thankful to have found this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by