What kind of bushes for the chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lularat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I was thinking about adding a couple of bushes to my run. My chickens don't free range and I like to make their run as close to free range as possible. I would love to add some bushes that have cover and they could lounge around under in the summer. I also want it to be something that will not hurt them, if they decide to nibble on it. My run is a good size, but still want to stick to a medium bush. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Thank you so much! Thinking about either Camellia or Forsythia, but Camellia's grow slow. Forsythias do well here and grow pretty fast. They would also make good cover in the summer.

4. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I think you would have good luck with a camellia. From my observations, the will not touch the leaves of plants that have a waxy coating, like hollys or cammellias, but will destroy other local plants like azaleas.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    With my chickens I think metal wooden or plastic may be the best plants.

1 person likes this.
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Cedar trees but they get kinda big lol My one chicken run is parked right into some cedars, and i actually planted some smaller varieties in my call ducks pen, i intend on clipping them to keep them reasonable in height.

7. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    You could go with a fig tree too. Your chickens would love spent figs, and you could get some too!

8. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My husband would fight the chickens for the figs, and I think he'd be sure he won!! ;)

9. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few variegated holly bushes at the end of my pens and they provide shade or shelter and can stand the dust bathing that goes on under them :)

10. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    my chickens LOVE to hang out under our forsythia. I forms a sort of umbrella so the chickens can go under for protection, shade or foraging.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by