What kind of chick am I? (Lots of chicks, lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xC0000005, Feb 6, 2012.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    I've made efforts to resize these and crop them down for the bandwith-ally challenged, and only took pictures of a representative of each. All of these are roughly ten days.

Chick #1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And #2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #3 - got a few of these.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#4 - looks a lot like #3, but the wings are coming in with grey on the tips
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 - Here's another cutie - near impossible to get a good picture because when you pick her up she just nestles in and snuggles in your hand.:
    [​IMG]

Chick #6 - Mean as sin at ten days. Comes across the cage to peck me when I water or feed them. If it weren't for the fact it would only make a nugget I'd try and set a record for earliest processing age. The kids won't hold it, and it's quite the bully. I've nicknamed it "Dinner".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #7 -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #8 - another student on "the path of the frying pan" if it doesn't lighten up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1, 5, 6 7 or 8 are my mystery chick (I have multiples of the others and quite a few black austrolorps and a few buff orps)

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Did you hatch them? Did you order them from a hatchery? Need more info please :)

3. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Sorry - I had this at the first of the post and edited it several times getting the pictures right but loosing this:
    I ordered the McMurray hatchery brown egg layer assortment, so from their web site, the possible breeds are:
    Black Australorps (I got quite a few of these, not pictured, because I know what they are)
    Lt. Brahmas;
    Dark Cornish;
    Black and White Giants;
    Buff and White Orpingtons (Got three buff oprs, beautiful birds)
    New Hampshire,
    Rhode Island Reds,
    Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;
    Delaware,
    Sussex,
    Turkens - not any of these.
    White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes,
    Red Star
    Black Star

Of course Mystery Chick could be any breed McMurray sells.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, that's quite the assortment!

Some of your ones are Wyandottes ( 1, 7) both gold and silver laced. They're supposed to be a docile breed, but I have noticed a distinct nastiness in hatchery Wyandottes.

#8 & 6 are most likely speckled Sussex

The light colored chicks could be almost anything white with a straight comb from your list. Might be a White Rock, a white giant, etc.

I think your cuddler could be a Buff Orpington :) So sweet!

5. jandrusrn

jandrusrn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2012
    I just think it's amazing how you folks who've been around here a bit know so much about the wee ones. I'm blown away. Thanks for these threads with the chicks.... it really helps those of us who would love to know more. Living in the city doesn't give me much opportunity to do much in my own tiny farm of 2 hens, but I can live vicariously. Thanks again.

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    1) possibly gold laced wyandotte?
    2) columbian wyandotte
    3) can't tell leg color - if yellow, either white rock or white giant (dunno what color skin on orps but I think white)
    4) Delaware?
    5) New Hampshire or red star?
    6) no idea.
    7) silver laced wyandotte
    8) possibly dark cornish?

I don't see any brahma (feathered legs). I've found that personality has much more to do with individuals than with breed, though some have reputations - like RIR roos being mean or BRs being friendly and outgoing. There are outliers in every flock.

7. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington

My hatchery wyandottes were evil! Ruthlessly bullied the silkie, bantam cochin, and bantam frizzle cochin. Flighty and decidedly mean. Pretty though! I couldn't keep them because i love my banties. #5 is so cute! I adore 'snuggly' chicks.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    One of my wyandottes (the one in the avatar, necropsied her yesterday) was a sweetie, the other is a bully. She's mean to my araucana bantams, going well out of her way to get at them. If she's a problem when I introduce new kids in a few months, she may be on her way out.

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think the last chick with the brown head looks like a Barnevelder chick - it could be the bonus rare chick they send - if so, chances are he's a he - definitely on "the path to the frying pan". I think "Dinner" is Dark Cornish and if so, s/he would be a good choice for dinner. :)

The greyish one #2 has coloring that reminds me of a Buff Brahma, so I'm going to say Columbian Wyandotte. If the buff one is reddish, then RIR, NH or red star.

The whites could be quite a few different breeds...I'll guess the one with a bit of black coming in is a Delaware.

Good luck with them!

10. chirpchirpchook

chirpchirpchook Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    i got my chicks from the local produce store so they're not an exotic breed. but the little black one loves to snuggle and was calling out to me all through the night[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by