What kind of chick is this? We think it might be a Seabright, but he is featherfooted! Help?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by leela2012, Mar 30, 2012.

1. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What kind of comb does it have? It's hard to tell from the pics but does it have a beard/muffs? Here would be your options - single comb and no beard/muff = Cochin (gold laced or maybe partridge); single comb, beard/muff = D'Uccle (really dark mille fleur, buff columbian, or possibly brown red); pea comb, no beard/muff = Brahma (dark or buff)

3. leela2012

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    What is a comb? What is a muff? He is so little I can't see anything but a fuzzy little chick! I'm new at this! :)

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It appears to be a little Mille Fleur or Gold Laced D'Uccle

5. leela2012

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    I think he looks most like a Belgian Mille! Thanks for the help guys![​IMG]

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Comb is the little fleshy thing on the head between the eyes and immediately above the beak. A single comb would be a thin serrated line. A pea comb at this point would be a flatish spot with maybe a few bumps on it (it will eventually have three paralel bumpy rows). The beard/muffs starts right in front of the ears and runs under the chin from cheek to cheek. In a chick, it looks poofier than the rest of the feathers. Mille fleur is the color and D'Uccle is the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by