What kind of chick is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RebekahM, Sep 18, 2016.

1. RebekahM

RebekahM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey everyone! I ordered these chicks from Meyer hatcheries, it was a grab bag of brown egg layer pullets and I just can not figure out what this one chick is. She is the only one with this white of a face, her legs and feet are yellow and unfeathered, and I am cinfused by those tips of her wing feathers being all white like that. Thank you to anyone who can help!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like an Australorp, they can initially get a few white feathers which molt out after a few months.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Australorps too

4. RebekahM

RebekahM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Thank you both! I am surprised to hear austarlorp bc she is one of the smallest chicks I have, the white rocks are much bigger!

5. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    My black copper marans always start with a couple of white feathers as well... could be that. I've never had australorps so I can't compare.

ETA: Just saw the white spot on the head... I think that means it'll be barred? I'm not sure how the cuckoo gene works but maybe a cuckoo marans?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It has yellow feet and a head spot so it will most likely be a barred bird, probably a Barred Rock.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I missed the yellow feet. What type of comb. My last silver laced Wyandotte was similarly marked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by