What Kind of Chick is This?

jlgoinggreen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 25, 2009
South Central PA
I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We ordered out chicks from McMurray's Hatchery and received a Mystery Chick in our batch of Buff Orpingtons. Does anyone know what it is?

If you click on it you will go to the slide show on my photo bucket. I could not figure out how to get the slide show on here.

Last edited:
Quote:
It looks like it might.

No beard= Speckled Sussex
A beard= Russian Orloff
But, the thing is I don't think Mcmurray Hatchery carries Russian Orloffs.

Last edited:
Quote:
It looks like it might.

A beard= Russian Orloff

Hmmm.....I just looked and didn't see any at McMurray Hatchery, so it must be a Speckled Sussex. Thank you. This was driving me nuts not knowing what kind of chicken it was. She is beautiful and sweet. I'm glad I know now.

Quote:
A beard= Russian Orloff

Hmmm.....I just looked and didn't see any at McMurray Hatchery, so it must be a Speckled Sussex. Thank you. This was driving me nuts not knowing what kind of chicken it was. She is beautiful and sweet. I'm glad I know now.

Ummm, the mystery chicks aren't often "shes".....just saying.
duc.gif

Quote:
Yikes, don't tell me that! It's so pretty, but if it's a roo we will have to get rid of him. Because of my one year old, we have decided not to keep roos until she is older. I've heard horrible stories of roos attacking babies.

Quote:
Yikes, don't tell me that! It's so pretty, but if it's a roo we will have to get rid of him. Because of my one year old, we have decided not to keep roos until she is older. I've heard horrible stories of roos attacking babies.

I went and looked at your slideshow again. It's too early for me to tell, especially since I don't know the breed well.
Not saying the MM doesn't include females as their mystery chicks, but it's kinda their way of finding homes for the unwanted cockerels that hatch.
Don't give up hope yet.
fl.gif

Quote:

It depends on how you raise the "roo". I understand your situation though.

Back
Top Bottom