1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What kind of chick is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunfloweralleychickens, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sunfloweralleychickens

sunfloweralleychickens In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    My exotic chick from MacMurray Hatchery is still a mystery? Any ideas on breed and gender?
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It could be a rhode island red or an astrolope. But you really cant be for sure until they are older. Wont be able to tell sex until they are atleast 3 months of age.[​IMG]

3. CC1892

CC1892 Chirping

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:I think it's too brown to be a Black Australope, perhaps a Partridge Rock?

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    Its definatly not a black australorp. Black Australorps are Black, this chick is reddish/brown. It looks like an RIR to me.

5. CC1892

CC1892 Chirping

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    CC's CoopCuties :

Quote:I think it's too brown to be a Black Australope, perhaps a Partridge Rock?

What ever the breed-this little one sure does have a pronounced little comb!
    Don't panic, I thought for weeks I had a Black Australope Roo, but he turned out to be a she.

Your baby chick sure is a cutie!​

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's a Roo. A large percentage of McMurray mystery chicks are male. They claim the mystery chick comes from their rare assortment. I would check their list of "rares" and find which breed may apply.

7. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Maybe Speckled Sussex?

8. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Songster

From what I remember when we had our three RIRs, that chick is far too dark brown-ish in color to be a RIR. We got ours from McMurray also. And a Speckled Sussex would have some white dots on the back & wings and white on it's chest, so it's not that :\\.

Could be a Partridge Rock, although I'm not seeing much Partridgey-barring color?

Here's a picture of one of our Partridge Rocks, from McMurray, at about 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

It is not a RIR for sure.

10. sunfloweralleychickens

sunfloweralleychickens In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Thank you for all the input. I should have shared some more info (my first post, sorry). In the first pic, the chick is about 5 days old. The other three were taken today, about 4 weeks old. It is definitely a bantam. I had 5 RIRs come in the order and they are about double or triple the size of this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by