What kind of chicken am I?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red reaper, Aug 16, 2009.

1. red reaper

red reaper In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    This chick came in a group of Barred Rock pullets. I assume it's going to be a hen too, but have no idea what kind it is. The comb is developing into a weird one. Looks like someone stuck a piece of chewing gum on top of it's head. Is it a hen? and what kind is it? I kept it because it's a beautiful chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Columbian Wyandotte. And sorry to burst your bubble, that is a rooster. The type of comb on its head is called a Rose comb.

3. red reaper

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    What gives the rooster diagnosis away? The pics I found on the internet of CW chickens have the red on the face going around the ear on roosters and stopping just before the ear or at the ear on hens like this one does. Thank you for letting me know what it is. Do they crow just like, say a barred rock will?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Well first off, how old is the bird? What gave me the impression of rooster was the long pointed, hackle and saddle feathers. And I can't say that it will crow exactly like a Barred Rock. One rooster's crow is different from the next. None are exactly the same.

5. red reaper

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    Not sure on the age, but suspect end of april baby, or first couple weeks of may.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: