What kind of chicken, and is a hen or a rooster? :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slothmonxtr, Dec 3, 2010.

1. slothmonxtr

slothmonxtr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    My chicken named "Big Momma" has started making some wierd noises. Now I am wondering if it is a boy or a girl? Also does anyone know what kind of chicken it is, it's the one in front (red)?

All the amazing questions for Big Momma or Big Pappa. [​IMG]

Watch the video

[​IMG]

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    sounds like a girl to me. has she started laying yet as it sounds like shes learning the egg song

3. slothmonxtr

Aug 17, 2010
    Well I have 9 birds in my coop, and most of them are the egg laying age. However, I got my first egg yesterday and my second one today. EXCITED!!!!

I expected it was my "Big Momma" because she is about 8 weeks older then the rest of my girls.

4. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    my girls make that kind of noise if i disturb them when they go in the coop to lay

5. slothmonxtr

Aug 17, 2010
    Well I'm excited. Because I have 2 of my other girls that are starting to speak up now too. WOOHOO!!!! Eggs are a coming!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Absolutely a girl. That song is a song of content, meaning they are O.K. and the hens make that (roos don't have that sound) when they are about to lay, or after a good meal or whatever they feel confort.

7. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by