What kind of chicken are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by robbiebobbie, Sep 6, 2014.

1. robbiebobbie

robbiebobbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    These are what the farmer told us are bandies. We knew nothing at all about chicken breeds at the time. Just wanted some good chickens that would make good mothers. He said he would sell us 4 hens. They were 4 to 5 weeks old he thought. The farmer did not know exactly. As you can see, we got 3 roosters and 1 hen. At the time of this picture they were about 16 to 18 weeks old. I now found out that they are batams and not bandies, I guess. And that there are all different kinds of them. Does anybody know what these are? I can't find a breed that looks like them anywhere.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Honestly, I'm not sure what they are. My best guess would be a poor quality silver Sebright, but even that's a stretch. How big are they? I'm not sure what other bantam comes in silver laced with a rose comb.....

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are Silver Laced Wyandotte bantams, but those are so skinny, they don't have the body type that a Wyandotte should.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I really didn't think of Wyandottes, but agree they don't fit that either, body type or leg color. Will see if anyone comes up with a good answer!

6. robbiebobbie

Sep 6, 2014
    They are small compared to my R.I.R's who are younger than them. They are feisty too. Maybe they are two pounds. Not sure. The little hen is feisty also and smaller then the roosters. What did the farmer give me? LOL

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  7. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    My friend has a silver seabright roo with a bunch of other mixed bantam hens, and she has hatched a number of chicks that grew up to look almost exactly like what you have. I would guess that one parent was a silver seabright and the other was something black. Yes, some folks call them "banties" short for bantam, but I've never heard "bandies." Sorry you got so many boys. They are really pretty cute otherwise.

8. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Here are a couple other silver seabright crosses, look familiar?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. robbiebobbie

Sep 6, 2014
    Yes, they look exactly like our 4 chickens. Thank you for the post! They call them bandies around here, so I thought they were spelled with a d. Thank you for letting me know that. I am learning a lot here. What is a batam anyhow? I don't understand that.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A bantam is a miniature chicken. Some have large fowl counterparts, some are what they call true bantams and don't have a large counterpart.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by