What kind of chicken feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jumpstart, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jumpstart

jumpstart New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    I was wondering what kind of chicken feeder everyone used, the price, how efficient, how much feed it holds, etc.
    What kind/brand feeder would you recommend for a flock of 15 chickens?
    Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I use a home depot 5-gallon bucket, with holes in the bottom-side, in a flower pot base.

Two 5-gallon buckets hold 50# of feed.

[​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Wow.

Does it really hold that much??!

Good to know!

[​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We just added a removable lid with 3 inch holes on the top of the inside tray. I don't have a picture of it yet. We used the wood we had and the design is from another BYC member and purchased the latches/hinges. It holds more then 50lbs of feed and zero waste! I absolutely love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    There are so many opinions on the "best" feeder, and many members here are creative with make your own models. it will be interesting to see the variety in your responses.

That said, I have this feeder, and I love it. Cost $20 at the local feedstore. It is sturdy, and should last a long time. I also like that it is portable and can be moved around. The capacity is 12lb, which is good for me - I know they also carry a higher capacity model.

http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/Product-Detail.jsp?groupId=626&prodId=63174

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by