What kind of chicken hatches in 13 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by catwalk, Sep 9, 2009.

1. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Seriously, I put this egg in the incubator on Tuesday, August 25. And yesterday it pipped. I got it from a neighbor, from whom I've gotten eggs before. I called them over the weekend, asking for more eggs, and offering yogurt in exchange, our usual deal. They called back on Sunday night while I was at work, telling me that they had been gone all weekend, but they had a dozen eggs sitting in a bowl for me. We couldn't hook up on Monday, but I found the eggs on my front porch Tuesday morning. So...... unless this chick really did develop and pip in 13 days, it must have been under a broody for a week, then on a kitchen counter and then my porch for AT LEAST another day and a half! I don't know how many of the others I can expect to hatch this week, and I've still been turning them.

So, if your temperature drops for a couple of hours, or your power goes out, there's still hope. For me, the hope is that I have the fastest maturing bird in the world and I'll soon be rich!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

let us know how it turns out

3. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    She's starting to zip. I couldn't sleep at all last night! There's been no lockdown, and I want to keep turning the other eggs. They're going to have to miss getting turned this morning, I guess.

4. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    I was gone all day on a Serama shopping spree, but I just came home to a cute little brown baby! I'd name her "13" but the egg I actually numbered with a 13 is peeping in it's shell! Pic coming soon!

5. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I had the same thing happen with some turkey eggs. Most of the chicks didn't make it to hatching, since the eggs were left out in the cold for so long. (Someone stole eggs from under a wild turkey and sold them at an auction without warning.[​IMG] )

My one survivor is named Miracle. She hatched in less than 2 weeks in my incubator and is doing great. Even though she is 'wild', she likes to eat out of my hands.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Exactly how "fresh" were the eggs? I'm thinking it started to developed before the owner collected it, then gave it to you right away rather than refrigerating it.

7. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I hope the next one hatches soon. One yappy chick sounds sad. A chorus of yappy chicks is divine joy![​IMG]

8. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    They were on vacation when I asked for eggs. They gathered everything they could find when they got back. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get a chick-a-day for 12 days!

9. The Vail Benton"s

The Vail Benton"s Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one! I put 18 eggs in my incubator on 8/23 for a 9/13 hatch. The first chick emerged yesterday followed by 4 more today and 2 more are beginning to pip. It's been so hot and humid here in the Southern Arizona desert that we were dumping our eggs for awhile and not bothering to collect them daily like usual since we were neither eating them or selling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by