What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leigti, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Hello, I am very new here so please excuse any mistakes I will probably make. This is my neighbors chicken, and nobody seems to know what type it is. I was wondering if somebody new. It is about half grown, and doesn't seem as white as it looks in the picture. [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Are you asking about the white one? A clearer photo would be helpful, but I'm thinking White Rock or possibly Cornish cross.

3. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Thanks. I will try to get a better picture tonight. And yes I'm asking about the white one.

4. djohnese

djohnese Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    Can you take another pic, I think the camera is focusing on the wire and is making the chick seem to be out of focus. Thanks

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

It's a bit hard to tell the breed, I'm guessing it's either a Cornish X or white rock, or maybe even a mixed breed. A better picture would be really helpful though.

6. cluckey

cluckey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Looks just like my cornish cross did. My cornish had a few black tips on a few feathers. She was part of a mix batch and grew very very fast. I called her big bird bc she was twice the size of everyone else. My cornish just died this Saturday after a year and two months. You should butcher her at 6-8 weeks otherwise she will become very fatty and be a very messy time consuming chicken. We found out too late for ours and I couldnt bare to cull her at that point.

7. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    This picture isn't much better. There are no black marks on the feathers.
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Cornish x

9. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Cornish Cross seems to be the consensus. I will have to tell my neighbors that they have meat birds and not egg birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by