What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fairy fox, May 12, 2016.

1. fairy fox

fairy fox Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]

This is my chicken named big head (they had a really big head as a baby....and the name stuck), and i bought her along with a couple other chicks labelled "sussex" or something at tractor supply. While the others grew rapidly and into big fat white colored chickens, this one didnt grow as fast, and turned out to be much prettier and different, so now im assuming that it was a different breed mixed in with the sussex at tractor supply. Anybody have a clue on what my lil' big head may be?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It's an easter egger. Very pretty :)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree she's an Easter egger. She has a good chance of laying blue or green eggs.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

I wonder if your big, fat white ones are Cornish x = which are meat birds.

5. fairy fox

May 12, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]

In the bottom of this picture you can actually see the white hens. Not very good, but still.

6. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Big Head is gorgeous! I hope it's a girl and you get colorful eggs from her.
    Whenever you see a chicken with fluffy cheeks or a beard and extravagant markings like that it is an easter egger.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016

8. fairy fox

May 12, 2016
    Texas
    Hmm....i think I got them a month or two ago. I havent really kept track of their ages all that well:confused:

And yeah, just about all of my chickens are free range! We're too chicken to kill a chicken to eat, they're mostly for eating up all the grasshoppers that eat our garden, and sometimes eating their eggs (my dad is really picky for some reason and doesnt want to eat the eggs, so most go to my grandma and aunt.)

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Big head is an easter egger. You'll have to restrict the feed on the Cornish crosses, or they most likely go down on their legs.

10. fairy fox

May 12, 2016
    Texas
    Duly noted! We usually only feed the chickens during the colder months anyhow, so hopefully that won't be a problem. They all seem pretty active and lively enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by