1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hyfly11, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Hyfly11

Hyfly11 New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Hey all! I'm new here and was wondering what kind of chicken this is. When I purchased I was told a Brown Leghorn. However, it is about 3 weeks old in this picture and the Black Sex Links are about 2 weeks old and much smaller. Is it a brown leghorn or something else?
    Thanks for all of your input! This will be our first year with chickens and we're excited as both my wife and I grew up with them. Our kids are loving them![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken cas

Chicken cas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Are you sure of age? I have some about that size that are 4-6 weeks old. How do you keep it in the pool brooder? I have a tall tote and mine get out at that size/age just from flitting around and using waterer. I would run with brown leg horn as I think they grow a bit faster due to being dual purpose.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. Hyfly11

Hyfly11 New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    They just stay in the pool. I am surprised also actually! I'm not 100% sure on age but we purchased the black sex links 8 days after the "brown leghorn" and they are supposedly fresh arrivals at the local store. So possibly a week and half older.
    We purchased the brown leghorn 3 weeks ago tomorrow and the black sex links 2 weeks ago this coming Wednesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by