What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tdottino, Apr 19, 2017.

1. tdottino

tdottino New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello! I have two chicks, now a month old, and I still haven't been able to tell what breed they are. Can anyone help identify them? They came from larger, dark brown speckled eggs. They were black as baby chicks (with a small patch of whitish on the neck), with darker legs and parts of the beak. They now have black and brown feathers, with lighter brown breast, black/grey feathers on their legs/feet, and green eyes.

Thanks for any help you can offer! I'm curious and haven't seen anything that matches them.
    -Tina

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    pictures would definitely help

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Any Pictures?

4. tdottino

tdottino New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Ah, now I can! (I couldn't when I first posted.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    looks like heavy gold lacing... I'm not sure if brahmas are gold laced at all... if it is a large fowl I would say maybe a brahma.... if it is a bantam I would say gold laced cochin that is poorly bred as the feet are barely feathered..... maybe barnyard mixes...

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How sure are you that they are purebred?

7. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Not a Brahma...Could be mixed with Brahma but Brahma do not have lacing. The female dark Brahma has penciled feathers and the light are white with black neck and tail tips. Buff can have penciled but never heard of laced one and it's way to dark to be buff or ligh, anyway. The chicks actually have that sorta chipmunk strip down back too. [​IMG] dark Brahma is the one that is bigger [​IMG] light Brahma All the Brahma I've had even when young have the tail up stance[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I don't think they are pure bred

9. tdottino

tdottino New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Not at all sure. I am a teacher, and was only concerned about getting fertile eggs to hatch with my class. They are likely to be a mixture, then!

10. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    I would have to agree...Looks like they are gonna turn out pretty neat tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by