What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skatcatla, Aug 12, 2007.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Little Veronica was my "spare" chick from Mypetchicken. At first I thought she was another Barred Rock, since as a chick she looked just like the other Barred Rock. Now that they are older though, its clear that they are different birds. Anyone have a guess? Here's a photo of her at 2 days old:

[​IMG]

and at 2.5 weeks (on the top):

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It looks like a Black Australorp, possibly a Jersey Giant, but I'm leaning toward the first one.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    looks just like a jersey giant that the person who i went in on an order with got. it was from mypetchicken too. i will post some pics of the jersey giant

here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Look at the soles of its feet. I believe Jersey Giants have yellow soles and Australorps have white. Wait, maybe I"m thinking of the black Orps that have white soles. Nope, they both have white sole, the Aussies and the Orps, while black Giant's are yellow.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  5. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    Ooh thanks! I wasn't even considering a Jersey Giant. I'll go home and check her feet tonight.

Thanks!

6. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    Man I just realized...I was already concerned about whether my coop and run was going to fit four hens...and now one of them might be a GIANT?

I'm doomed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by