1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimbymarie, May 13, 2011.

1. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Hi all, I don't have any pictures but I have a chicken that out of 12 chicks that are approx 7 weeks old is large and black with white feathers. He or her has a bald spot where the comb should be. I don't see any indication of a comb forming. With this description would anyone be able to tell me what kind of chicken this might be? Also, I'm givng 4 chickens away to a friend. Do chickens adjust well to new homes. Thank you.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] A picture would really help here. Can you tell us what kind of comb the chicks have and what color their legs/feet are? Where did you get these chicks, at a store, from a breeder, etc.? This will help us narrow it down, but try to post pictures if at all possible. For your next question, chickens usually adjust really well to new homes, especially at this young age. [​IMG]

3. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Hello, thank you for the reply. The chick in question is the biggest out of all the chicks, does not have a comb, looks more like a flat bald spot, thick large greenish legs and is black with white feathers mixed in. I will try to post a picture, but I'm a newbie and I don't think I can yet. Also, I hope the chicks will adjust to new home. I'm like worried mother hen. My husband keeps saying Kim they wont know the differnce they are just chickens, but I worry that they will be sad, scared, and missing their home here. They are use to a light from the heat lamp at night too. I don't know if the new home will have one. I keep thinking they are going to miss their home here. I know that may sound crazy.

4. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    A picture really would be helpful, and i am sure you can post them by now. If it has green legs i would say EE but I can't be sure without a picutre.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by